SHARE THIS BLOG

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

READ THE BIBLE IN A YEAR - VERSES OF THE DAY- EXODUS 33, MARK 11, PROVERBS 13

Exodus 33

 1 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Leave this place, you and the people you brought up out of Egypt, and go up to the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying, ‘I will give it to your descendants.’ 2 I will send an angel before you and drive out the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 3 Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way.”
 4 When the people heard these distressing words, they began to mourn and no one put on any
ornaments. 5 For the LORD had said to Moses, “Tell the Israelites, ‘You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you even for a moment, I might destroy you. Now take off your ornaments and I will decide what to do with you.’” 6 So the Israelites stripped off their ornaments at Mount Horeb.
The Tent of Meeting
 7 Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the “tent of meeting.” Anyone inquiring of the LORD would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp. 8 And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. 9 As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses. 10 Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to their tent. 11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.
Moses and the Glory of the LORD
 12 Moses said to the LORD, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.”
 14 The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
 15 Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
 17 And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”
 18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”
 19 And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”
 21 Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

Mark 11

Jesus Comes to Jerusalem as King
 1 As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples, 2 saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and just as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 3 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ say, ‘The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.’”
 4 They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it, 5 some people standing there asked, “What are you doing, untying that colt?” 6 They answered as Jesus had told them to, and the people let them go. 7 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. 8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. 9 Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted,
   “Hosanna![f]
   “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”[g]
 10 “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”
   “Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
 11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve.
Jesus Curses a Fig Tree and Clears the Temple Courts
 12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.
 15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’[h]? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’[i]
 18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
 19 When evening came, Jesus and his disciples[j] went out of the city.
 20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”
   22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly[k] I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” [26] [l]
The Authority of Jesus Questioned
 27 They arrived again in Jerusalem, and while Jesus was walking in the temple courts, the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders came to him. 28 “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you authority to do this?”
 29 Jesus replied, “I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. 30 John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin? Tell me!”
 31 They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ 32 But if we say, ‘Of human origin’ …” (They feared the people, for everyone held that John really was a prophet.)
 33 So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”
   Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”

Proverbs 13

 1 A wise son heeds his father’s instruction,
   but a mocker does not respond to rebukes.
 2 From the fruit of their lips people enjoy good things,
   but the unfaithful have an appetite for violence.
 3 Those who guard their lips preserve their lives,
   but those who speak rashly will come to ruin.
 4 A sluggard’s appetite is never filled,
   but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
 5 The righteous hate what is false,
   but the wicked make themselves a stench
   and bring shame on themselves.
 6 Righteousness guards the person of integrity,
   but wickedness overthrows the sinner.
 7 One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing;
   another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.
 8 A person’s riches may ransom their life,
   but the poor cannot respond to threatening rebukes.
 9 The light of the righteous shines brightly,
   but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.
 10 Where there is strife, there is pride,
   but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
 11 Dishonest money dwindles away,
   but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
 12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
   but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.
 13 Whoever scorns instruction will pay for it,
   but whoever respects a command is rewarded.
 14 The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,
   turning a person from the snares of death.
 15 Good judgment wins favor,
   but the way of the unfaithful leads to their destruction.[a]
 16 All who are prudent act with[b] knowledge,
   but fools expose their folly.
 17 A wicked messenger falls into trouble,
   but a trustworthy envoy brings healing.
 18 Whoever disregards discipline comes to poverty and shame,
   but whoever heeds correction is honored.
 19 A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul,
   but fools detest turning from evil.
 20 Walk with the wise and become wise,
   for a companion of fools suffers harm.
 21 Trouble pursues the sinner,
   but the righteous are rewarded with good things.
 22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children,
   but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.
 23 An unplowed field produces food for the poor,
   but injustice sweeps it away.
 24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children,
   but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.
 25 The righteous eat to their hearts’ content,
   but the stomach of the wicked goes hungry.



No comments:

Post a Comment