SHARE THIS BLOG

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

NEED ANOTHER SURGERY

I Need Another Surgery

Okay, if you don't know me and the story of my accident, here is a quick summery.


Three days before my birthday on October 25, 2011, I had fell at my job. I tore the ACL and PCL, fractured my Tibia and Fibula, plus other little fractures on my right leg and knee.  I had my first surgery to fix the ACL and PCL when the doctor discovered the extensive amount of fractures I had from just above my ankle to my upper thigh. 


Halo on
Therefore, the next day I had my 2nd surgery, placing a halo on my entire right leg.  I was not to put any weight on it, so I was bed ridden for 4 months.

Surgery #3 was the removal of the halo, followed by extensive therapy. Needless to say, my knee would not bend to a 90° angle. 


My holes after halo taken off...
Look like buck shots...lol
This led to my 4th surgery of a total knee replacement. Well, I can bend my knee...but the tendon behind the knee, also known as the ligaments are stretched out and will not retract.   This makes my knee pop out of place at any given time when walking,
This picture was after 3rd surgery, before
total knee replacement
walking to sitting or laying down on either side. I also wobble when I walk since left leg is now shorter then right. I favor my left leg, so that one hurts, and not to mention my back between my shoulder blades when standing in one place because of my uneven posture. You see, I'm lopsided ...like the
Leaning Tower of Pisa

When I went to the doctor, he told me about this possibility, but if I wanted to wait and see if the tendon would fix itself within time.  So I decided to wait.  
You can see the right
leg a little longer
Okay, we are now up to yesterday's doctor visit. He had taken x-ray's showing it looked good until I told him about what I was going through.  He then examined my knee's movement, that's when he saw what I was talking about. My friend, Pat from my church had drove me to my appointment was also in the exam room.  She too seen my knee move completely out of place. Your knee is supposed to move only up and down...well mine moves up and down plus side to side. 


That's me...LOL
Now I'm left with the dilemma of have the 5th surgery.  You see, getting the surgery gives me no guarantees that I will not end up having the same problem in time. Plus, they would attach a brace that would support the knee. The knee I have now should last a life time, but with this attachment, only 5-10 years.  
My leg today, right & top
scars, plus holes on sides.

So I my dilemma...staying with what I have and hope it don't make me fall again or having the 5th surgery with NO guarantees and a shorter life span.

I haven't decided, yet.  I will pray and let God guide me into making my decision. 

Can y'all give me your comments on what you do???

No comments:

Post a Comment