SHARE THIS BLOG

Friday, August 17, 2012

WEEKLY BIBLE STUDY 8/17/12 TAMING THE TONGUE(PART 2/3)





TAMING THE TONGUE (PART 2/3)



I pray you have been working on what we’ve been learning last week on taming the tongue through God's Word, prayer and daily commitment. If you have, you will see the Spirit of God changing you.



James tells us that the person who is never at fault in what he says is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. That's how important it is to tame our tongues. When they're out of control, everything else about us tends to be out of control as well.



But James goes on to say that no man can tame the tongue, and he's right. No man can tame the tongue. But the Spirit of God can tame it, if we will make it a matter of serious prayer and daily commitment. Here is a suggestion.

 

Work on one problem at a time. Where do you feel your tongue is most out of control? Do you complain a lot? Or is it criticism? Or gossip? Maybe you just talk too much. Choose one and focus on it until you can see change in that area.



Commit to the Lord, for example, "Today I will not complain. Lord, please bring to my mind all through this day that I should not complain about anything. Please stop me when I start to complain. Please make me miserable when I do complain. Please help me to hear myself complain. By your grace, I will not complain today."




It would help to about memorize some scriptures complaining, or write them on cards and put them in front of your eyes. For example, Philippians 2:14: "Do everything without complaining or arguing." That's pretty easy to remember, but harder to practice. However, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you, even stop complaining.



Now, in order to stop speaking words of complaint, you're going to have stop thinking those complaining things. Your words are simply revealing what's in your mind and on your heart. So, while you're cleaning up those words, you're going to have to clean up your thoughts. So, you also pray, "Lord, help me to not have a complaining spirit today and allow myself to think in a complaining way. Make me a thankful person."

I promise you, if you're serious about taming that tongue, and you approach it with commitment, God is going to empower you to do that. You're going to see changes in yourself that you won't believe. You'll hear yourself start to complain, and stop right in the middle because the Spirit of God reminded you. And with this simple method you can begin to tame that tongue.



I suggested that you choose one area where you know your tongue is out of control and work on that. You can do this through God's Word and prayer and daily commitment, until you see the Spirit of God changing you. The areas to consider working on are criticizing, lecturing, arguing, complaining, and talking too much. Remember, too many words will eventually get you in trouble. Proverbs 10:19 says, "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise."



No comments:

Post a Comment