SHARE THIS BLOG

Monday, May 19, 2014

♥ NEW YORK STYLE ITALIAN SAUSAGE HOAGIE ♥

NEW YORK STYLE ITALIAN SAUSAGE HOAGIE 

I got this idea from the hot dog venders in N.Y.  They have hot dogs, sausages, onion in tomato sauce, sauerkraut, mustard, catsup and of course buns or hoagies.  You would tell them what you wanted on your hot dog or sausage. Sort of like Burger King...."Have it Your Way".  LOL...


 Well John wanted Italian sausage, sauce and cheese on a hoagie.  I remembered I had a half a jar of sauerkraut in the refrigerator, and thought of  the venders. A light bulb went off in my brain and the N.Y. Sausage Hoagie became alive...
So give it a try...it's really a N.Y. Style Italian Sausage Hoagie & it's really good too!

Ingredients:

1 lb Italian pork sausage

1/2 can garlic roasted tomato sauce
1 cup sauerkraut 
1/4 cup of chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
4-6 hoagies 

Directions:

I microwave my sausages for about 2 - 3 minutes before frying.  I do this to make sure the inside is cooked well. Pork sausage or ground beef, the meat from the outside of an animal is ground and mixed together.  Therefore, if it did contain bacteria, or "germs", making sure it's cooked well can prevent food poisoning.

Spray frying pan with cooking spray and place sausages in and cover.  Cook on medium high heat for about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. I keep checking and turning them.

When sausages are brown, add sauce, onions, garlic, sauerkraut, and sugar. (I add sugar to take away a little of the bitterness from the sauce and sauerkraut.)

Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat. I toasted my hoagies, but you don't have to toast them.  Now I made a slit in each sausage, length ways, but not all the way through.  I now added a little cheese, 
top with the sauce mixture 

and a little more cheese.  

That's....serve and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment